Saturday night was the benefit concert for my dad and the family of Tom Larner. Dad is fighting cancer and Tom’s battle recently ended. It was a good night. Both families received a sizable cash donation, but more important were the hugs and love that were given. Forgive me for not remembering all the names of the bands.
Below are some pics--
Some goofing off during the music
The group Flat Broke
End of concert jam session with all the bands
Hanging out and watching the bands
This group was made up of a younger generation and were quite good. I expect to see a bit more of them.
The gifts being given (and just so you know my dad HATES being the center of attention)
The Lions Club came and fixed food for the evening. The kids and I got our favorite…funnel cakes! Below is a recipe to make them at home (be forewarned…these are not anywhere near being called healthy & are addicting!)
- 2 quarts oil for frying
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract (can leave out if desired or use vanilla)
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a heavy frying pan, heat the oil to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk and lemon extract. Fold in the flour mixture, stirring until well blended. In a separate bowl, sift together the confectioner's sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Blocking the spout with your finger, fill the funnel with 3/4 cup of the batter. Place your hand over the hot oil and carefully remove your finger. Scribble and criss-cross the batter into the oil, then fry until golden on both sides. Using a slotted spatula, lift the funnel cake out of the oil and drain on paper towels. Repeat this procedure with the remaining batter, and sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar mixture while still warm